3 – Università di Palermo, Dipartimento di Fisica e Chimica
In the 1930s, the university physics department moved from the Theatins’ complex to a new site, which hosted the Physics Institute and the Mineralogy Institute (on the second floor).
In the Physics Institute is preserved the historical collection of scientific instruments of the Physics and Chemistry Department of the University of Palermo, which is part of the university museum system.
It is one of the richest and most complete collections in Italy and consists of about 450 items. The oldest instruments date back to 1811, when Domenico Scinà obtained the chair of experimental physics and the direction of the physics cabinet.
In this building, in 1937, Emilio Segrè and Carlo Perrier discovered a new chemical element, Technetium.
The general assembly of the 2023 SIC Symposium will be held in this venue.
The Museo della Specola is located on the top of a tower of the Royal Palace, in the premises of the Palermo Astronomical Observatory, a research institution that today is part of the National Institute for Astrophysics (INAF). The museum...
The Theological Faculty of Sicily “San Giovanni Evangelista” is located in the premises of the ancient Archbishop’s Seminary of Palermo. The construction of the building was begun in 1583 in rooms adjacent to the Archbishop’s Palace and completed in 1591,...
Palazzo Asmundo is a noble residence built in 1767 by the Marquis of Sessa Giuseppe Asmundo. The construction of the building began in 1615; the palace is located in the ancient street “Cassaro” (today’s Corso Vittorio Emanuele) in front of...